Oxeye Game Studio
Public Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Oxeye Game Studio Forum Index

Are the shards up to the expectations of Akarra?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oxeye Game Studio Forum Index -> Whispers in Akarra
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fledge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Are the shards up to the expectations of Akarra? Reply with quote

Are the shards up to the expectations of Akarra? I believe the answer is 'no'. Here is why, take a look at the original FAQ.

Akarra FAQ from Akarra.net wrote:
General Questions

1.1 What is Whispers in Akarra?

Whispers in Akarra (WiA or just "Akarra" for short) is an online multiplayer, role-playing game. You use a "client" to connect to the "server" and play together with dozens of other people to explore dungeons and castles to find wealth and ancient wonders. In your way is hundreds of evil creatures and monsters who you can defeat using your cunning and strength. Whispers in Akarra is above all a social game and focuses on cooperation and teamplay.

Some server shards haven't balanced their new material, be it equipment or skills, to the extent that classes are overpowered and because of it, teamplay is an ignored feature that used to be a fun necessity.

Overpowered heavy armours with so much damage reduction that clerics are not necessary. Clerics with stronger magic than Old Akarra's 'balanced wizards'(level 0-13 before Magic Use ran out) had. Wizards with unreasonably high damage that lets them work five more efficiently than other classes. Forget teamplay, some shards have turned Akarra into a hack 'n slash without even making sure that the fighter, apprentice and neophyte class branches are balanced with each other.

1.2 What are the system requirements?

These are the basic requirements in order to play WiA:

- Windows 98/2000/XP
- DirectX 8.1 or later (download from www.microsoft.com/directx)
- An internet connection
- A 3D graphics card with 8MB RAM
- About 20 MB system RAM

Please note that even though this game seems to have simple graphics, it requires a 3d compatible graphics card. The game is designed to make use of any hardware that is available, since most people these days have a 3d card. Also note that if your graphics card has less than 8 MB of display memory, you might encounter difficulties to play the game.

Meh, nothing to comment on in this section.

1.3 How do I get an account?

Join the game using one of the anonymous accounts (anon, anon2 or anon3, all with "anon" as password) and search for Cecilia Lifebringer. She will create an account for you.

Akarra took down this process to make the 'ask an admin' process which was slightly more efficient in stopping multi-accounters and other threats rooting from mass account creation. Then again, that is probably because none of the server shards have enough active administrators to do such a task.

1.4 Does it cost money to play?

No, it's completely free, except for any internet costs you may have.

1.5 Will it cost money to play in the future?

The future of Akarra is hard to predict. My foremost opinion is to keep Akarra free, and the day that isn't possible it's better to stop developing the game altogether. Enjoy the game as long as it lasts.

Well, nobody is profiting off the shards in such a way yet, but Dawn of Daria has disobeyed this part of the plan -- but for good reason.

1.6 Can I be an admin?

We choose our own admins. Asking to become an admin almost definitely counts you out.

Server shards hand out administration abilities like candy to all developers, any active friendly players and any close friends of the developers without checking their moral reasoning and the size of their ego. The results are disasterous.

1.7 Can you reset my attribute points?

Absolutely not! Your attribute points are automatically reset when you change classes. Most people request a reset because they feel they have "messed up" their character. The reality is that your character's statistics will always seem to be messed up because the game is constantly undergoing changes during development. If you want an attribute point reset then start a new character.

The rebirth command might be useful if we could activate it as a one-time-use that gets replenished after each major update.

1.8 Can you transfer my characters to a different account?

No. Not only are character transfers time consuming but there are a TOTAL of well over 2,000 accounts and 7,000 characters.

Not so hard on a shard, I've seen resets, transfers and character fixes.

1.9 Can you give me free items, money, experience?

Absolutely not, although items, money, and experience MAY be given out to those who've earned it (such as rewards from winning certain in-game events, etc.

Pffft. Rarely do we live up to those event expectations and many times players are getting undeserved bonuses for being friends with administrators.

Trouble-shooting and Help

2.1 The game doesn't work!

Please read the readme for help about this subject.

2.2 The game freezes?

This problem has started occuring since pA13. The reason for the freezes seems to be that the graphics card's memory is filled. We are investigating a solution, but no promises as of yet.

Hmmm... latest bid is over a thousand dollars says the rumour mills...

2.3 Getting help

If you encounter problems you should read the readme. It includes some tips and links to where you can find more information. If nothing helps, go to the forum and post a problem description in the "Wailing in Akarra" forum. You can also join the #akarra IRC channel on QuakeNet.

None of the server shards have made any bug reporting that was remotely as friendly towards players. It usually involves players and developers defending themselves with excuses and whining about what the players are complaining about. Some even venture as far as to blame bugs that they clearly caused upon Old Akarra's developers. Pathetic.

2.4 What is IRC?

IRC means "internet relay chat" and is a system for connecting to large chat networks, such as QuakeNet. To connect to an IRC network you need an IRC client, such as mIRC. You can get mIRC from its site at www.mirc.com. The latest version of mIRC has a "Random QuakeNet Server" selection in its server list, just choose that and press "Connect" (note: pressing "Ok" will only close the options dialog, you must connect to the server too). Then join the channel called #akarra to find other people to talk about WiA with.

2.4 A required .DLL file D3D8.DLL is missing

This is the most common error message people receive when they try to run Akarra. D3D8.DLL is a Direct3D file included with the DirectX package. Download and install the latest version of DirectX (currently DirectX 9a) from http://www.microsoft.com/directx

Complaints

3.1 Why are the graphics so ugly?

The graphics aren't ugly, only small. We have chosen this style because it makes the game unique in the vast range of different online role-playing games there are on the internet. The graphics may not be commercially viable, but this is not a commercial game.

The shards could at least take the time and effort to use or make graphics that match the Old Akarra style which isn't hard to do when tiles are 16x16...

3.2 Why don't you make 3D graphics?

See above. In addition, making full-fledged 3d graphics takes a lot more time than small-scaled sprites. That means we would have to spend more time on art and less time on new features.

3.3 Why aren't characters animated?

Not enough time in our lives.

3.4 Why am I so slow?

The pace of the game has been chosen to maintain a faked realism in terms of travelling and combat. Please remember that if you are tired (low stamina), you move even slower.

Heh heh... Boots of Speed, Amulet of Speed, Steed, Sprint/Dash/Run/Blink/Rush/Charge and/or Santa's Boots... all in combonation on various server shards... yay, that's 3 minutes to cross a sector! Yay! And how many sectors? Oh, just one and a few empty plains of grass!

3.5 Why does it lag?

The internet is like the weather and can be very unpredictable. The server has a connection which is more than enough to support the current player load, but sometimes it can lag anyway. A good connection from your side reduces lag, but the game is fully playable even with a modem.

Common Suggestions: Construction-related

4.1 Will there be towns?

As you might have noticed there is only one town in the current version of the game. This is the special starter town called "Hope", which is the center of the current world. In the future there will be more towns, but unlike Hope these will be built by the players themselves. Each town will have a "town post" where you can buy different kinds of construction deeds in order to expand that town.

Only Braiba was brave enough to do this, but never finished his plans. The rest of the servers forgot about player-directed development.

4.2 Will players be able to build buildings?

Yes, you will be able to build residents, shops, teleport services, training halls, churches, guild houses...

Thank you Braiba, it was fun... especially when I tried to build a house around the obelisk.

4.3 Will I be able to hire my own mercenaries?

This feature is not currently planned, but since we think it would funny we might add it later.

Crunk! Crunk! Crunk! The Carpenter! Support healer NPCs. Razz Once again... Braiba and Talonz.

4.4 Will we be able to design our own dungeons?

Probably not. The current plan is to use pre-defined templates for all buildings.

That didn't mean copy and paste the same house over and over again without changing anything but the floor and the NPC! Learn to map!

4.5 How about teleporters between important locations?

Yes, some players will be able to build "Teleport Services" that allows you to travel quickly to obelisks all around Akarra.

Yeah, thanks to Dexter a vast majority of players hang out in Hope and go to dungeons from there without even taking use of the other towns simply because Dexter makes their life so much easier.

Then when Dexter's costs go up it really makes no difference on servers where cash is as common as the air we breath. Or if someone decides to give Dexter a route to compensate, players chase him around with pitchforks... hah hah. Sure, teleportation is a great feature -- but I think Dexter is a bit too useful.

Speaking of Dexter, people ignore the fact that skill shops(Dexter) were temporary in Old Akarra and that Braiba was writing quests to replace those for Revitalize and Flare that nobody yet implemented.

4.6 Will there be banks where I can store money?

Yes.

Yay, we did something right! It's also nice to see how many different ways a shard can make a bank.

4.7 Will guilds have a "base"?

Yes, guilds and its guild house will be closely related.

That didn't say to overpower the game and destroy fellowships altogether with two-minute spawns eight steps from an obelisk that make players stay in Hope to level and sell things without venturing out into the wilderness. At least two servers took this approach and I think it was a complete misinterpretation of what Khaile meant by 'guild houses'.

Common Suggestions: Movement and Combat

5.1 Can we have an option to make us automatically avoid obstacles?

I (Khaile) feel that the game should be played, not automated, and I kind of enjoy the side effect that encourages "trains" or "taxi'ing"... I find that to be a fun part of the game.

Yay! Taxi'ing is fun. Khaile you rock.

5.2 What about a command to move to a coordinate?

No.

Bye bye versimilitude, hello military tactical grid.

5.3 Why can't we automatically attack monsters?

Basically because the game should be played by you, not your computer. Having auto-attack or auto-defense modes could possibly encourage so-called macroing.

Runescape is so ignorant.

5.4 Will we get other mounts besides horses?

Yes, a range of both normal and magical beasts will be usable as mounts. At the time being we can't promise flying mounts, though, since it could cause some gameplay inbalance.

And the bids get higher... and higher... funding for Daria, I guess. Razz

5.5 Will we be able to use two weapons at the same time?

Yes and no. The only time you will be able to use more than one weapon at once is if you have progressed to the "Sword-Dancer" character class.

Source, once again.

Common Suggestions: Skills

6.1 Will there be horse-related skills?

Yes.

Am I the only one that put Horse Deed as an equipment requirement on skills?

6.2 Will there be "mundane" skills, such as fishing and mining?

The current plan is not to add any mundane skills. The major reason for this decision is because mundane skills have a tendency to be really boring. Take, for example, mining: You go to a mine, collect stones and ore for hours and you go to town and sell the ore to somebody (or you know how to make stuff out of the ore yourself). Then you return to the mine, collect more ore for some hours and go back to town again. This can be repeated many times with not much changing. Hunting monsters can be repetitive too, of course, but there is a very important difference: each time you repeat the loop you have become a little stronger and can go to new places to hunt new monsters for new loot.

Another problem with mundane skills is that, most of the time, there is no real threat while you are doing it, allowing people to create "scripts" or "macros" to automatically perform these tasks. Say what you want about macros, but it is a obvious sign that something aint right in the game.

This doesn't count out mundane skills completely, though, we just need to find a system that is 1) variated and 2) non-scriptable (or so fun that people wants to do it themselves).

Needs the source, speaking of which... those rumours are floating around about a deleted post, a specific amount and anonymous buyer... but the rumours are being denied. Laughing

Common Suggestions: Various

7.1 Can we have a command to show us where our current spawn point is?

No.

Various Questions

8.1 Why do we lose so many coins when we die?

Because it should be painful to die. Currently the max drop is 5% of what you carry and the max loss is 15%.

Interesting tidbit of information. Perhaps someone should revamp this FAQ to fit better with the shards? Braiba?

8.2 Will we get weddings in Akarra?

Weddings and other role-playing events will hopefully gain more attention and become more common when we, on the development team, can focus on the storyline instead of adding new features.

SLJ's Michelle character and Deadlyblade... and were there more? Someone said something about two others.

About Development

9.1 What does "Pre-Alpha", "Alpha" and "Beta" mean?

The development's progress is divided into four different states: pre-alpha (pA), alpha (A), beta (B) and "final" (yeah right). Pre-alpha refers to all versions where not all of the character systems have been created (attributes, skills, classes and so on). Alpha means that the character system is up, but not all planned features have been added yet. Beta means that the major features have been added, but there might still be lots of bugs and issues to sort out. Final is the version where everything is added, yet (obviously) there are hundreds of other cool stuff we'd like to add.

9.2 When will the next version be released?

When it's ready.

9.3 When will the final version be released?

Don't get your hopes up yet! The "final" version of WiA is still a few years away, if we ever reach that far (and in that case I promise I will have a flask of nice Champange in my refrigerator).

9.4 What tools have been used to create the game?

The game and server has been programmed in C++ using Visual Studio. The game heavily relies on Microsoft's DirectX for sound, graphics and networking. All editors have been built with Borland C++ Builder.

9.5 What kind of computer is running the server?

The server is currently running on a 1.1GHz with 384 MB RAM and a 3.6MBit connection. The game uses about 10% of the CPU with 70 connected players.

Good to know.

9.6 Can I host a server?

In the far future there might be more than one world server to support a larger amount of players. When that day comes we will seek out possible server sites ourselves.

No, Jeb sought out the general public instead and look what we did, we've made a somewhat tolerable mockery of Akarra that gets less than a third of Akarra's former population.

9.7 I want to help developing the game, what can I do?

The development team is currently pretty crowded with enthusiastic people, so please don't expect us to add any more. There are still lots of ways to help out, though. All you need to do is to decide what you want to do and then do it using your own imagination.

I thought someone said that most of them were inactive throughout the game's career?

- Level building
If you enjoy creating dungeons you should download the "Public Area Editor" from the downloads page and give it a go. Invent your own places, make up stories, imagine up what kind of monsters that inhabit your dungeon and write it all down. If you think it is good enough you can contact us and we might add it to the real world.

- Sprite art
If you want to help out with items or monsters, just open your favourite art editor and begin drawing. Monsters usually are 16x16 pixels and items are 32x32. Note that items requires several different images (one for the inventory, one for the ground and sometimes one for the character).

Hee hee... fun for the whole social group.

Anyways, where I'm going with this is... are we living up to the expectations of Akarra? The FAQ is a clear indication of what was and wasn't expected to happen. I won't mention any specifics, but the shards are making a mockery of what Akarra was meant to be. The population is a clear indication.
If you turn a blind eye to any side of a discussion, if you disallow what may be and what actually is the truth, then you've no credibility whatsoever. You end it by saying "I don't want to talk about it." Classic regression.
Braiba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fledge wrote:
Only Braiba was brave enough to do this, but never finished his plans. The rest of the servers forgot about player-directed development.

I did? Oh, you mean the house items? That was hardly the start of a plan; it was a me messing around with plant items and deciding it would be a fun little thing for people to play around with.

fledge wrote:
Support healer NPCs. Razz Once again... Braiba and Talonz.

Yeah, but in all fairness, they didn't work properly, did they? I seemed to remember they'd heal the monsters as well.

fledge wrote:
Interesting tidbit of information. Perhaps someone should revamp this FAQ to fit better with the shards? Braiba?

People changed this in the shards? I didn't even think they could.

fledge wrote:
Anyways, where I'm going with this is... are we living up to the expectations of Akarra? The FAQ is a clear indication of what was and wasn't expected to happen. I won't mention any specifics, but the shards are making a mockery of what Akarra was meant to be. The population is a clear indication.

Bottom line is, Akarra was intended to have the source code expand as it did and this is the main thing that caps how good you can make a shard. Okay, so people are making other mistakes that's stopping them from reaching that cap, but even if they weren't, the cap would still be there.

As far as I'm aware, the shards were never intended to "be" Akarra. They were just supposed to be a little fun nostaliga and to make sure we got all the mileage we could out of the code that Jeb spent all that time on.

So yeah, I think you're holding it up to an unfair yardstick to a certain extent.
Fledge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe all you had to do was change the heal spell to offensive rather than defensive, make enemies(players) get hit by it but make allies(monsters and NPCs) immune. But I am not too sure on that.

I certainly recall either you, Talonz or Origon saying that those items were for players to plot out more buildings in Hope. However, none of us knew the exact placement spot and thus, none of the items were placed aesthetically.

And who said the source code is a cap? There are people working around the source code with certain 'questionable' programs and there is also... well, I'm a little sworn to secrecy in that department. However, you and about nine other people know what I'm talking about Braiba. Just neither of us can talk about it for a month or two. Wink Darn, I can't keep my mouth shut. *gets out duct tape*

However, I agree with you. The shards were possibly unable to live up to these expectaitons without the source code. However, a lot of them deviated from that. I think it was more than just an original flair, I believe that some servers actually make a mockery of Akarra.
If you turn a blind eye to any side of a discussion, if you disallow what may be and what actually is the truth, then you've no credibility whatsoever. You end it by saying "I don't want to talk about it." Classic regression.
Slayermagic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it's soon time to take that "duct tape" off XD.
Yep Yep..

Whispers in Akarra: www.akarra.org
Fledge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oxeye Game Studio Forum Index -> Whispers in Akarra All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: