Oxeye Game Studio
Public Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Oxeye Game Studio Forum Index

Area Editor
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oxeye Game Studio Forum Index -> Whispers in Akarra
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeb
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Area Editor Reply with quote

Ok, here is the Area editor:

AreaEditor.rar
EDIT: This file is no longer available from the oxeye site.

How to edit the world of Akarra

1) Copy the files from the sectors folder in your server to the sectors folder of the area editor.
2) The password for the original akarra world files is "or1gin4l".
3) When changing any of the maps, copy all files back to the server and send the "SC2" files to your players.

It's not possible to expand the Akarra world without letting people see your maps unless you completely delete "caves" and "caves2" and rebuild these mazes from scratch (with your own password).

How to create a new world map

1) Start the editor, choose "Create Sector" and enter "world0x3y" and your own, secret password.
2) Choose "Convert to World Sector" in the menu.
3) Get the area at (0, 0), select "Yes" in the message box, choose "Area Static Edit".
4) Draw an square in the area with each one of the different tilesets (you will need this to get the colors of each tileset type later).
5) Press "Save Area!" and then "Write output.tga" in the first tab.
6) Close the editor.
7) Rename the file "output.tga" to "input.tga". Open it in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro (or another editing app that can open TGA files).
8 ) Now zoom in in the upper left corner of the image. If you did everything correctly you should see some pixels of different colors. These colors are the index colors of the different tileset types in the world maps.
9) Choose the water color, then select a rectangle somewhere and fill it with water. Save the tga.
10) Open the area editor again. Load your sector and press "Import from input.tga". Select an area (any one) and save it. Reload your sector again.
11) Now you will have a base world that you can build on. You can use the tga inport function to quickly lay the base tiles for your world, but please note that it will overwrite any area that is non-black (in the TGA), so be careful.

Remember that all your clients will require the SC2 file in order to see the correct world maps. Also remember that it's not possible to modify the starting location (1056, 7332), so you should center your world around that spot.

More help?

Haha! Deam on! Very Happy

Use this forum or IRC to get help from other players instead. The Area Editor is a very tricky editor with lots of interesting surprises, so make backups often. Not recommended for people with a weak heart.

Last edited by jeb on Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Talonz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you jeb! Very Happy This is going to really be fun to learn. Though yes it is tricky, and some menu items make it crash but I'm finding out which ones. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Origon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh...Does anyone know what the slidebar above 'Respect!' on the Area Static Edit do ?

Also. for certain wall parts there are 2 tiles you can use. Is there any way you can select just those twe pieces? In order to do it lately I've just been select the group they're in under the "4-grouped" section, and then just keep clicking until I get the appropiate piece coming up.

Also, just for verification. The Spawn Interval. it says ( 2 min). does that mean that every 1 interval = 2mins spawn delay ? or......
Talonz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also wondering how to do what origon described a well ^^; Also, how do you stack sprites?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Stant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not that I've looked in the editor to find out, but in simcity4, you could change the elevation of the land and then you hit a button (Called rectify borders I think) and it corrected the land on the borders to match up with the surrounding city plots so you didn't really have to be all that careful in terraforming in god mode. Something to check out I guess.
Talonz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is 2d though. :p There isn't elevation. Smile Looking at the world I don't think you can stack them, and I don't think there's an answer to origon and my question. If anybody does please say but for now I've found a quick technique for doing the walls. Wink
Stant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if you recall the plan was to possibly go that way so maybe that button was put there for future use.
Talonz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stant wrote:
But if you recall the plan was to possibly go that way so maybe that button was put there for future use.

Nope don't recall. ^^
jeb
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "respect" button makes it impossible to overwrite a sprite that already has been placed. I rarely used it, but it can be useful if you have a long list of sprites (by right-clicking in the sprite lists) and a low random value and then drag the mouse around to make a forest (or such), but without removing any sprites that already have been placed (like a building).

Yeah... the monster spawn time is multiplied by two minutes. It may look weird to multiply everything instead of just typing "2" in place of "1", but in the beginning the multiplier was 5 minutes.
jeb
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've uploaded a new version of the Area Editor (it's the same link as before, I just replaced the file). This version allows you to change the password of the sector files (just load the sector with the old password, enter a new password in the field at the bottom and press "Set New PW", then save again).
Origon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TY jeb !!! YOU ROCK !!! Applause
AquaritsBR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try
maybe i can do it

Visite Akarrian Soul www.akarriansoul.kit.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Talonz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Origon wrote:
Heh...Does anyone know what the slidebar above 'Respect!' on the Area Static Edit do ?

I believe it's like the flow slidebar in photoshop. In photoshop it makes your brush distribute it's paint in larger intervals. Like a glob every 1 pixel your mouse move (hi flow) or a glob ever 50 pixels your mouse moves (low flow) But for if you have multiple sprites. I could see how this can be useful!

I'll post some tips for the editor later, probably... Thanks for the new version jens! I see another change besides the password too. ^^
apocalypse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

help me! the water has become land and I don't know how to fix it.... also many other things were switched around!
Talonz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's outside (a world sector) just go to the Area Static Tab. Make sure you have Main World selected as your tileset. Then from there you can work with any of the tiles you see under the Border Group box. To get water, blue the blue tiles and then drag over the work area to the right. To get dirt click the brown tiles then drag, for light green grass click the light green tiles... etc!

When you want to see what it will look like in-game, click the "Show Cellborders" button.

Hope that helped. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oxeye Game Studio Forum Index -> Whispers in Akarra All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: