Oxeye Game Studio
Public Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Oxeye Game Studio Forum Index

Graphics Editors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oxeye Game Studio Forum Index -> Whispers in Akarra
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeb
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Graphics Editors Reply with quote

Ok, here's the "texture editor":

TextureEdit_Released.rar
(requires that you redownload the latest version of the server and client)
EDIT: This file is no longer available from the oxeye site.

With it you can edit the following:

- Character sprites
- Monster sprites
- Item sprites
- Effect sprites
- NPC portraits
- Interface images
- Worldmap tiles*

*The source TGAs for these are not released (yet).

But you can't edit the following:

- Underground tiles
- Map sprites (trees and houses etc)

Editors for editing those will be released later.

How to use the texture editor, the quick way:

1. Start the editor (wooh, aaah).
2. Enter your package password in the password field. If this is the first time you're opening a package you should leave it blank. If this is the second time, you should enter your password (or "or1gin4l" if you forgot to enter your own).
3. Select File->Open->Interface library. Locate the IGCL file you want to open.
4. If this is your first time, enter your preferred password in the password field and click "Set".
5. Locate the folder where all the source TGAs are located. Make sure you double-click so it is opened, just selected isn't enough.
6. Click "Generate Textures".
7. Select File->Save All.
Done!

Some notes:
- To add new sprites to a package, save your sprites as 32-bit TGAs starting with an index number and a hyphen, such as "192-MySprite.tga". The number will be the sprite's id number that the game uses to find it later.
- Monster, item and character packages use even numbers for base sprites and uneven numbers for colored overlay sprites. For example, the spear skeleton has 46 as its base sprite and 47 as its overlay sprite (which will put color on its shield).
- It's not possible to remove sprites once they've been added to the package. The only way to remove them is to rebuild the package from scratch, but then you will lose all animation and offset information that you may have added already. It is especially important to remember that this also applies to animations and animation frames. It is, in other words, not possible to change the number of animation steps once you've added an new animation. It's a good thing to keep backups of files.
- I don't have the TGA files for the effect sprites that were created by thewreck for A2. You will have to redraw them yourself (you can see them if you open the FX package included in the Akarra client zip).

Final words

All these small images have taken a lot of time to draw by several people, so please spend a moment and think about ol' Macc, Delaque, thewreck and Kinten! I've also drawn a lot of the uglier sprites, and Satch contributed with the lion sprite Smile

Last edited by jeb on Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Satch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think the lions are the best looking sprites :p

Thanks Jens for releasing this badboy.
Gorgorath

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Graphics Editors Reply with quote

jeb wrote:
To add new sprites to a package, save your sprites as 32-bit TGAs

Hmm ok, ive got sprites i want to add but ive tried saving them as 32-bit TGAs as you said but the highest i can save them is 24-bit Confused im using paintshop pro9 if tht helps...

Edit- ok ive seem to got it working even tho im saving them as 24bit unconpressed, but one problem i found was the background ad to be black, even tho some of the sprites have white some have green etc etc, which is odd
Gorgorath

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be a pain, if anyone is experianced with the texture editor and know how alpha channels work, could you PM me, thanks
AquaritsBR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The textures that I edited "broke" the server, and not appears in the game.
Some trobles happened when i put mt "edited textures" in the game.

Visite Akarrian Soul www.akarriansoul.kit.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Braiba

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorogoth: With PSP9 you have to create a mask layer and then save it to the alpha channel. If you want to edit the existing alpha channel, you have to load the mask from the alpha channel.
Oh, also, make sure you hide or delete the mask layer after saving it to the alpha layer before you save the file, otherwise the background will change to white.

Actually I made a script for PSP9 when I was doing this that you would probabaly find useful. I'll try to dig it out. Anyway, if you, or anyone else, has any more questions about using PSP9 (or PSP7/8 ) with the texture editor, just post them here and I'll try to help. Either that or contact me on msn or whatever.

- Braiba

EDIT: I've put the script here.
Instructions:
1. Save the script in your trusted scripts folder.
2. Open the sprite you want in psp
3. Either add a mask layer or (if it is an existing sprite) load it from the alpha channel.
4. Select the area you want to use. Most of the time this will be the entire image, but this script was actually made for extracting a lot of sprites out of a sheet, so you have to do it. Just use select all if you want the whole thing
5. Make sure the mask layer is the selected layer, and that its visibility is turned off (i.e. the eye next to its name has a cross through it).
6. In the script toolbar, select 'Extract Sprite' from the drop down list and hit the 'Run Selected Script' button.
7. When a save dialog appears, save the file as a 24 bit, uncompressed TGA.

NOTE: If at any point the script throws up an error, either let it run to completion (the script undoes itself at the end), or terminate it and hit undo until you have the image back.
If you follow the above instructions carefully, it shoudl work fine.
Gorgorath

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate a tonne Smile
Malaro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant find any IGCL files can someone help me
Stant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you looking in the folders that the server files are located?
AquaritsBR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG Razz
i need create m testuires in 24 or 32 bit tga???
im confused now

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
AquaritsBR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Help with my animations!!! Reply with quote

Ok, i konw now, when i create 24 bit tga files, the sprits dont appear in the game, only when i make in 32 bit.

But i have a trobble with my animations.

Arrow 1° thing:
I created 4 images, tga, 32 bit, with alpha layers edited, woth good dimensiod, 32x64, same of Hipogrif sprite. Named "264a0-Greengdragon_B" and "264a1.. to 264a3".
I follow the others animation in Texture Editor.

Arrow 2° thing:
After it, generate texture, and my sprite apear in the sprite number box, i can see the 264 animated number and the 4 image appears ion the image box. But i can see only 2 frames. 0 and 1. Cant put the other 2 frames in the animation.

Arrow 3° thing
Well, i thinked, My Green Dragon can move the wings in the game. I tryed put in the game and nothing.
Deleted the files the dont appear in the texture edditor, generate again, and noting, yet.
Only the first tga image apear in my animation.

Arrow 4° thing
I tryed 24 bits tga, doesnt works
other dimension of my image, large and small
simple collors
copyng and renamed other animatios in the game
work in the other texture akarra files.

Wut i need to do more to can make my animation works?
Im thinkg that the problem is in the sprite configutarion, maybe the time of "change" tga images is very large... dunno, i really want knowm how i can make annimations.

(maybe this topic was seeming half critical, but it is not my intention, my English is bad )

jeb
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, animation names are like this:

Id number, the letter "a", the number of frames in the animation, an underscore and then the current animation frame.

For example:

0264a4_0-Image.tga

Id number 264, 4 frames, frame 0 (frame counting starts at 0, so this is the first frame and 3 is the last).
AquaritsBR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, i dont remember about "UNDERLINE", i ll check it tonight.
But maybe i put similar the other animations.

Look Jeb, the images of the animation, apears in the image box of the Texture Editor, and i can test the image too.
Only in the game i have the problem

AquaritsBR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeb, i made exactly u told, but nothing.
The texture editor recognize the images, can be a Texture Editor configuration?
Maybe speed of the frames, sequence, dunno.

Braiba

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your file names are now

264a4_0-Greendragon_B.tga
264a4_1-Greendragon_B.tga
264a4_2-Greendragon_B.tga
264a4_3-Greendragon_B.tga

correct? You hadn't confirmed them since Jeb mentioned the correct format so I just thought it would be a good idea to make sure you hadn't forgotten one of the underscores or put a dash instead of an underscore or something.

If done correctly, the following things should happen:
- All the frames will appear in the texture display of the editor, but only the first frame will actually be selectable.
- The number 264 should appear in the list of blue numbers.
- When you select the 264, then the animation tab, then click 'Edit' and select the frames tab, there should be a list of the frames. (If it reads 0- [0 : 100] then you need to add the frames to the animation by setting the frame value to 1 and clicking 'add', then repeating for 2 and 3.)

If any of these don't occur, saying so might help narrow down what is going wrong.

If you continue to have problems, zip the files and upload them somewhwere and I will take a look at them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oxeye Game Studio Forum Index -> Whispers in Akarra All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: