Oxeye Game Studio
Public Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Oxeye Game Studio Forum Index

Online updater for Akarra.. (and other games too)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oxeye Game Studio Forum Index -> Whispers in Akarra
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ichinin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Online updater for Akarra.. (and other games too) Reply with quote

Hi. Like so many other programmers, i get bored sometimes and just have to write something. So i wrote a patcher for networked games. (And yes, that include Akarra)

http://www.geocities.com/ichinin/index.htm (600K+)
(Check top of the page for download link)

It is freeware and open source so if you want to DL it and make your own version.. well, now is your chanse, source comes in VB 6.0 flavour only. It was supposed to be written in .NET but the box i had that sourcecode on crashed and i lost the code.. along with my Oblivion Savegames Razz

All you need to make a patcher going, is a webserver with a DNS name pointing to it. If you need a very easy and lightweight webserver i can recommend this one: http://www.networkactiv.com/ (Freeware)

To configure the system, there are 2 files to change:

1. One that is to be distributed with the client (to tell where to go and what to fetch.

2. One on the server that tells the client what files to download.

Both are in text format and are VERY easy to use.

Any questions or Bugs? Feel free to post in this thread or email me (addy on my page).
apocalypse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: nice work Reply with quote

Good work Ichinin, I am glad you took the time to make such a thing. I personally am not a fan of updaters (due to their lagging of the lower ended connections from players, and extreme wait times created.) , but if I ever find the need for such a thing I am glad its only a download a way.
Nice job, your work was definitely appreciated.
Dormeydo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWEET!
I had my thoughts of building an updater like this myself - in VB
Now i just have to mod this one to fit my needs and that saves me a oo of valuble time.
Thanks a lot for posting this here!
Slayermagic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your work is really appreciated.

Whispers in Akarra: www.akarra.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oxeye Game Studio Forum Index -> Whispers in Akarra All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: