Oxeye Game Studio
Public Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Oxeye Game Studio Forum Index

Tutorial - Spawning Monsters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oxeye Game Studio Forum Index -> Whispers in Akarra
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Satch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Tutorial - Spawning Monsters Reply with quote Awarded

I'd like to thank Braiba for taking the time to write this tutorial and saving us all the trouble of learning the Spawn editor (when it's released Razz), and the process of activating spawns. I am posting this now so that you can get up and running as soon as the editor is released.

Getting Started

First things first, click File > New Spawnfile to create a new spawn file. Now you can start adding spawns to the file. To do this, click Spawns > Add New or press Ins. You will be prompted for a spawn name, so enter a name for the spawn. This cannot be changed, but its not really important - just don't make it something you're likely to overwrite by mistake, especially if you have more than one person uploading spawns. During the running of Akarra, we usually prefixed our spawnnames with an abreviation of our own names to avoid conflicts.

Now we have a spawn, we need to set it up. Select the spawn from the Spawnpoint List and fill in the world coordingates for the spawn. The radius is the max distance away from the point specified that the monsters can appear. The interval is the time between spawns (note that '1' means one block of 5 minutes, so 2=10 minutes, 3=15 minutes etc.)

If you want your spawn to move along a route, you need to specify the points to visit. These points are called 'waypoints'. To add a waypoint, type the coordinates in the X and Y boxes at the bottom and click 'Add'.

(I'm honestly not sure what the Speed does, it never seemed to affect anything for me...)

Adding Monsters

Click the Add button beneath the Monster list to add a monster. Initially it will just say '1: 0 * '. Select this item from the list and then enter the monster name in the Name box and the number of them you want in the count box. As you do so, you will notice the item in the list change, to, for example, '1: 5 * White Rabbit', which means that there will be 5 white rabbits in the spawn.

If you have the amb (monster definition) file, you can add the monster name by clicking the '...' button and selecting the monster from the list. This is no different from just typing it in, except that you won't make typos.

Saving the file

Once you're done, save the spawn file. This must be done in Akarra's ClientData folder, NOT server folder, and it MUST be named 'Spawns.ads'

Okay, we're almost ready.

Uploading Spawns

You MUST be using an admin character in order to upload spawns. To upload a spawn use the uploadspawn command as follows:

*UploadSpawn SpawnName

For example
*UploadSPawn BraiEvilSpawn1

Okay, now its time to have some fun...

Activating Spawns

Just use *ActivateSpawn <SpawnName> to spawn the monster. NOTE - You may have to restart the client before it can find the client

The command *RemoveSpawn <SpawnName> can be used to unload the monsters.

Example Usage:
*ActivateSpawn BraiEvilSpawn1
*RemoveSpawn BraiEvilSpawn1

WARNING: Using RemoveSpawn on a spawn which currently contains a monster which was summoned by a monster in the group can cause the server to crash, therefore it is recomended that you avoid including summoning monsters in your spawns. If you insist on doing so, make sure not to make them overpowered so that your players can kill them and you don't have to unload them

Notes

If you're uploading several spawns at once it helps if you name them identically, but with a number at the end, for example BraiEvilSpawn1,BraiEvilSpawn2,...etc. This allows you to just hit up and change the last character to load the next spawn and saves A LOT of time.

Rather than making complete spawns, it is often better to make lots of partial spawns and summon several at once. This increases the variety of your summons.
jeb
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I released the spawn editor:

http://www.oxeye.se/files/SpawnEdit.zip

Note that the editor needs the "data name" of the monster in order to spawn them. Most of the time the data name is the same as the displayed name (such as "White Rabbit"), but sometimes not (for example "Alligator" has the data name "Aligator").
Braiba

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to dig up an old amb file. Its a little out of date, but most of the stuff is in there. I can't see any reason why I couldn't post it, but I managed to overlook how rediculously stupid it would have been to release the texture editor, so I thought I should check first.
jeb
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.amb files are the "akarra monster bundle" files, which are used by the server to check all the monster definitions. People can use the one that is lokated within the akarra server package if they want.

Heh... and yes, please don't release the texture editor Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oxeye Game Studio Forum Index -> Whispers in Akarra All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: